It is often known as Old Woodhouse, to further distinguish it from the later and better known Woodhouse Eaves.
St. Mary in the Elms Church is 14th century, one of the few churches in the forest before the19th century.
The pretty Pestilence Cottage is where Thomas Rawlins came to, when fleeing from the Great Plague in London in 1665. In gratitude for his salvation, he started a school here, which developed into the well known Rawlins School, now at Quorn.
Beaumanor Hall was the seat of the Herrick family for centuries. The present house was built in 1846 by William Railton, the architect of Nelson's Column in Trafalgar Square.
Blue Badge Guide Colin Crosby is available to lead Guided Walks around Woodhouse for groups.