Most of the village dates from the 19th century, when the area was promoted as being good for those with breathing difficulties. Certainly, the air is and was much better than in the nearby cities.
St. Paul's Church was designed by William Railton and built in 1837. Ewan Christian added transepts in 1880.
Much of the village is built from the local Swithland slate.
A mile away is Woodhouse, sometimes known as Old Woodhouse, where there has been a settlement since mediaeval times.
Blue Badge Guide Colin Crosby is available to lead Guided Walks around Woodhouse Eaves for groups.