Newport (Gwent) is a large industrial town in Gwent, at the mouth of the River Usk, and 11 miles from Cardiff.
Newport Cathedral stands on Stow Hill. It is the former St. Woolos` Church, and has been the cathedral for the Diocese of Monmouth since 1921. There has been a Christian settlement on this site since the 6th century.
Remnants of the 12th century Newport Castle stand by the river.
The 19th century growth of Newport was due largely to the docks, and the tall Transporter Bridge is a prominent feature.
Tredegar House dates back to the 16th century, and stands in a 90 acre country park.
On the outskirts of town is the Fourteen Locks Canal Centre.
Newport was the birthplace of W. H. Davies, the poet and gentleman of the road ("What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare?")