Colin Crosby Heritage Tours


Minster-in-Thanet is a village on the Isle of Thanet in Kent, 5 miles from Ramsgate.

The first religious house in the village was founded y King Egbert of Kent in the 7th century and given as a nunnery, one of the earliest in England, to St. Ermenburga, in atonement for the murder of her brothers, the young princes St. Ethelbald and St. Ethelred, at Eastry in about 640.

The nunnery was sacked by the Danes in the 9th century and later came into the possession of St. Augustines Abbey at Canterbury.

The monks added a grange, and it is this that has been in the possession of Benedictine nuns since 1937.

St. Mary`s Church has a massive Norman tower.

Two houses known as the Old House and the Old Oak House date back to the 14th century.

Places in Minster-in-Thanet

Minster Abbey, Minster Station, St. Mary`s Church

Places in Minster-in-Thanet...