Coal was extracted from the district for centuries.
Coleorton Hall was built between 1804 and 1808 for Sir George Beaumont, the painter and patron of the arts, by George Dance.
Many artists, poets and novelists visited Coleorton Hall. It was while Sir Walter Scott was staying here that he walked to Ashby-de-la-Zouch Castle and decided to use it as one of the settings for his novel "Ivanhoe".
St. Mary`s Church, basically mediaeval wih an attractive spire, was much restored in the 1850s.
Blue Badge Guide Colin Crosby is available to lead Guided Walks around Coleorton for groups.