St. Martin`s Church (Birmingham)
St. Martin`s Church is the parish church for central Birmingham.
It is situated in the Bull Ring, beside the shopping centre of the same name and the market. Before the shopping developments, it was the dominant feature and its spire overlooked the market.
There was a mediaeval church here, but it was rebuilt between 1873 and 1875 by a local architect, J. A. Chatwin in red sandstone.
Chatwin based the impressive hammerbeam roof on that of Westminster Hall.
There are 14th century monuments, brought from the earlier church, to the de Bermingham family in the chancel.
In the South transept is a window by Edward Burne-Jones, himself a Birmingham man.