Colin Crosby Heritage Tours

Market Street (Ashby-de-la-Zouch)

Market Street is the main street in the old Leicestershire market town of Ashby-de-la-Zouch.

It is Ashby's equivalent of a High Street, and is wide as well as long.

The Town Hall was built in 1856. The front half is used as a covered market.

The Bull's Head is a timber framed house which in part dates back to the 14th century, and is probably the oldest building in the town. It was here that Lawrence, Earl Ferrers was detained in 1760 after murdering his steward John Johnson at Staunton Harold. He was later executed at Tyburn in London.

Number 76 is a delightful tea shop which was once a farmhouse, built about 1390. As well as huge timbers, it has a rare mediaeval smoke hood. During renovations here, Civil War relics were found.

The White Hart was the last public house in Ashby to stage bear baiting. The landlord formerly kept a bear on the premises to discourage rowdy behaviour, and a stuffed bear can be seen below the floor.

There was formerly an octagonal Butter Cross in the street between the White Hart and the Queen's Head. This was removed in 1827, for a reason which is familiar today. Those in charge of vehicles had to take the trouble to negotiate around it carefully, and this was considered to be a nuisance.

Bookmark this page

Bookmark this page with

What is

Places in Ashby-de-la-Zouch...

Events in Ashby-de-la-Zouch...