It is one of the places whose pronunciation is designed to confuse visitors. The local way of saying it is "Rowell", to rhyme with towel.
The impressive Holy Trinity Church dates mainly from the 13th century, and has a very unusual collection of thousands of human bones in the crypt.
The Market House in the Market Place was built by Thomas Tresham in the 16th century, and has a cruciform shape.
It was Tresham who was responsible for the extraordinary Rushton Triangular Lodge not far away.
Jesus Hospital dates from the 15th century, and the Rothwell Free Grammar School was founded in 1538.
The annual Charter Fair, lasting a week, started in 1204.