The market town is actually East Retford, which is separated by the River Idle from the village of West Retford.
St. Swithun`s Church is cruciform, and dates from the 13th century.
St. Michael`s Church in West Retford has a 14th century tower and crocketed broach spire.
The Grammar School was founded in 1552.
The market charter (one of the earliest in England) was granted in the 12th century, but added prosperity came when the Great North Road was diverted through the town in 1766 and the Chesterfield Canal opened in 1777.
England cricketer Derek Randall was born at Retford.
Blue Badge Guide Colin Crosby is available to lead Guided Walks around Retford for groups.