The Verdon suffix denotes mediaeval ownership by the de Verdun family.
St. James Church was largely rebuilt in the 19th century, but retains the Norman base of its tower, surmounted by an odd pyramidal stumpy spire, added in the 1960s.
The Baptist chapel was built in 1833, and the Methodist chapel, almost opposite, dates from the 1890s.
Hall Farm, by the church, is a handsome building from around 1700, built for Bishop Crewe of Durham.
Blue Badge Guide Colin Crosby is available to lead Guided Walks around Newbold Verdon for groups.