It is pronounced "Lim".
Portus Lemanis was a Roman fort on the Saxon Shore. It is represented today by the remains of what is now known as Stutfall Castle, near the bottom of the cliff.
St. Stephen`s Church, with its churchyard reaching to the cliff edge, has a massive Norman tower. It is believed to have been built by Lanfranc.
The Royal Military Canal runs at the foot of the cliff.
Lympne Castle is a fortified Norman to mediaeval house commanding the finest views across Romney Marsh and across the Channel to France. It was formerly the residence of the Archdeacons of Canterbury.
Shepway Cross marked the site of the Court of Shepway, which administered the Cinque Ports. The present cross is a 1923 replacement.
Port Lympne Zoo, established by John Aspinall, is a popular visitor attraction.