Embracing a number of old villages, the New Town was begun in 1947 and was designed by Sir Frederick Gibberd. The centre, the first in a New Town to be pedestrianised, is known as The High.
St. Mary`s Church, with its central crossing tower, is mediaeval in origin but was restored in the 19th century.
St. Andrew`s Church at Netteswell is partly Norman.
Harlow Museum gives a good overview of local history.
Mark Hall Museum houses a famous collection of bicycles.
The River Stort is navigable here.
Blue Badge Guide Colin Crosby is available to lead Guided Walks around Harlow for groups.