Hardwick Hall was the culmination of Bess of Hardwick`s building career. She employed Robert Smythson to design it, and the hall was built between 1590 and 1597.
"More glass than wall" was a frequent comment, and this magnificent building contains a wonderful collection of tapestries.
It is now in the care of the National Trust.
Beside the hall are the extensive remains of Hardwick Old Hall. Bess had been born here in 1520.
Hardwick Old Hall is in the care of English Heritage.