The priory, for Augustinian canonesses, was founded in 1235 by the wealthy and widowed Roesia de Verdon. At the Dissolution of the Monasteries, it was taken over by the Beaumont family, one of whom was Francis Beaumont, half of the famous Jacobean playwright team of Beaumont and Fletcher.
The nearby Grace Dieu Manor was built for the De Lisle family by William Railton, and has a chapel by Augustus Pugin, being a centre of the 19th century Catholic revival. It is now a preparatory school for Ratcliffe College.
The priory ruins may be visited, and can be seen from the road. There have been many well attested hauntings here.
Blue Badge Guide Colin Crosby is available to lead Guided Walks around Grace Dieu for groups.