Along with neighbouring Barwell, it was a 19th century centre for boot and shoe manufacture.
St. Simon and St. Jude Church was built in 1856, replacing the now ruined church at Elmesthorpe.
Earl Shilton Castle was constructed soon after the Norman Conquest by the Earl of Leicester, but was demolished in the 12th century. A little of the motte survives, close to the church, and a "ruined gateway" was built on the site in the 20th century.
Blue Badge Guide Colin Crosby is available to lead Guided Walks around Earl Shilton for groups.