Clare Castle was built in the 11th century by the powerful de Clare family, who gave their name to Clare College and County Clare. There are slight but nevertheless impressive ruins of the keep on top of its mound.
Clare Country Park incorporates the castle ruins and also the long closed railway station.
St. Peter and St. Paul Church dates from the 13th century.
There is a particularly fine Market Place in the centre of the town.
At the corner of the churchyard is the Ancient House, dated 1473 and once used as a priest's dwelling, which has a fine display of pargeting.
Clare Priory was founded in 1248 by Augustinian friars, and is now in use again. Lionel, Duke of Clarence and son of Edward III was buried here.