The "Lazars" refers to the fact that there was a leper hospital founded here in the 12th century, which was also the administrative centre for all such hospitals in England.
There was a famous healing spring nearby.
All that is left are humps and bumps in the ground.
St. James's Church dates mainly from the 13th century. In the churchyard is the astonishing 20 foot high monument to local weaver William Squire, who died in 1772
There is a mediaeval moated site just outside the village..
Blue Badge Guide Colin Crosby is available to lead Guided Walks around Burton Lazars for groups.