Colin Crosby Heritage Tours

St. Andrew`s Church (Lyddington)

St. Andrew`s is the parish church of the Rutland village of Lyddington.

Once a peculiar of the Bishops of Lincoln, whose palace is now the celebrated Bede House, St. Andrew`s dates from the 14th century.

The West tower has a short spire.

The font cover is Jacobean, and the unusual communion rails date from 1635.

High above the chancel are acoustic jars, designed as an early form of amplification.

There are traces of wall paintings from the 15th century. These include the New Jerusalem and the Mouth of Hell, while there was presumably a Doom Painting between them over the chancel arch. There is also a king holding an orb, probably Edward the Confessor.

The church was restored in the 1890s by Ewan Christian and J. C. Traylen.

Bookmark this page

Bookmark this page with

What is