Colin Crosby Heritage Tours

Bede House (Lyddington)

The Bede House is an interesting building in the Rutland village of Lyddington.

The Bishop of Lincoln had a park and a moated house here as far back as the early 13th century, and a licence to crenellate was granted in 1336.

What remains today dates from the 15th century.

In 1602, Thomas Cecil, Earl of Exeter, converted the building into almshouses, and today it is in the care of English Heritage.

Bookmark this page

Bookmark this page with

What is