Wellington Arch (London)
Wellington Arch is a well known landmark in Central London.
It is situated at Hyde Park Corner, where Park Lane meets Piccadilly.
The massive arch was commissioned by George IV and was intended as a grand outer entrance to Buckingham Palace. It was completed by Decimus Burton in 1830, and moved to its present location in 1882.
The spectacular bronze monument on the roof is the largest bronze sculpture in Europe, and depicts the Angel of Peace descending onto the Chariot of War.
There are balconies just below the sculpture, from which there are glorious views over the Royal parks and Westminster.
On three floors, there are exhibits relating to the arch`s history.