Colin Crosby Heritage Tours

House in the Rock (Knaresborough)

The House in the Rock is an unusual feature of Knaresborough.

It was created by Thomas Hill, a linen weaver, in 1774, by cutting into the cliff face overlooking the River Nidd.

The house had four rooms, one on top of the other, and Hill lived there, with his wife and their six children.

His descendants lived there, calling it Fort Montague, until 1916.

It later came into the hands of Ampleforth Abbey, who ran it as tea rooms, in conjunction with the neighbouring chapel.

Bookmark this page

Bookmark this page with

What is

Places in Knaresborough...

Events in Knaresborough...