It is a former mining town, which until late in the 20th century had two collieries.
The River Dearne separates the town from the smaller Bolton-upon-Dearne.
All Saints Church, partly mediaeval, stands overlooking the valley.
Edward II granted Wath its charter for a market and fair in 1312. The base of the Market Cross, with a modern shaft, now stands proudly in the town centre.
Old Moor is a nature reserve managed by the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds.
Blue Badge Guide Colin Crosby is available to lead Guided Walks around Wath-upon-Dearne for groups.