It is one of a group of Tolleshunt villages, the others being Tolleshunt D`Arcy and Tolleshunt Major, as well as the little port of Tollesbury.
The mediaeval All Saints Church has an effigy of a knight from the 14h century, holding his heart in his hands. The church has been used by Orthodox Christianity since 1959.
Nearby there is now a monastery.
Just outside the village, in extensive grounds, is the sumptuous five star Five Lakes Hotel, incorporating a golf club and health and training facilities.