In days gone by it was notorious for smuggling. This led to the first Preventive Service in England being set up here in 1801.
Built of stone, the village has a tiny harbour, narrow streets and steps and alleyways filled with little cottages.
The Smugglers` Museum is in the 16th century house owned by the grandfather of Sir Arthur Quiller-Couch.
It is not possible to bring cars down into the village. They have to be left at the top of the hill at Crumplehorn.