Built almost entirely of stone, it is one of the outstanding small towns of England.
Oundle School was founded in 1556, and the school chapel has stained glass by John Piper.
St. Peter's Church has an excellent needle spire.
The frontage of the Talbot Inn was rebuilt with material from the demolished Fotheringhay Castle, where Richard III was born and Mary Queen of Scots was executed. The oak staircase also comes from this castle, which explains why it is haunted by Mary.
The brilliant but controversial St. Wilfrid died at Oundle, at a monastery which he had founded.
Blue Badge Guide Colin Crosby is available to lead Guided Walks around Oundle for groups.