Old Romney is about 2 miles away. It was replaced by New Romney in the Norman period.
New Romney was one of the original five members of the Cinque Ports, but a storm destroyed its harbour in 1287, while altering the course of the River Rother.
St. Nicholas Church is large, with a fine Norman tower, rising to 100 feet. It reflects the town`s former importance, and stands beside the site of the harbour, now a mile inland. It is one of five churches which stood in the town in its heyday.
New Romney has a station on the Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch Railway.