It was developed in the 19th century from two villages. The church at Mablethorpe St. Peter was taken by the sea during the reign of Henry VIII. St. Mary`s Church, founded in 1300, is on the inland edge of the town.
There are miles of excellent sandy beach, fairground, boating lake and miniature railway.
There is also a Seal Sanctuary.
The Sand Train, similar to the land train that is a feature of some other towns, runs along the sandy beach, and at times in the sea.
The stumps of trees from an engulfed forest can sometimes be seen from the shore.