Lynton is a small town in North Devon, 10 miles from Porlock.
It is picturesquely situated 500 feet above Lynmouth, to which it is joined by a zigzag path and a water powered Cliff Lift constructed in 1890.
Lynton developed in the Victorian period from a hamlet, and it has an interesting Town Hall built in 1900.
The Valley of the Rocks is to the West.
The publisher George Newnes funded both the Cliff Lift and Town Hall.