Generally regarded as one of England`s pretty villages, it is built mostly of stone, with some timber framing. Most of the village is owned by the National Trust.
In the village there is a stepped cross, a 14th century tithe barn and an old lock up. Other ancient buildings include King John`s Hunting Lodge, now a delightful tea shop, and the 14th century George Inn, one of the oldest in the country.
St. Cyriac`s Church has a fine Perpendicular roof, and a collection of grotesques, including a man smoking a pipe.
Lacock Abbey is also in the care of the National Trust. It was founded in 1229 by Ela, Countess of Salisbury for Augustinian canonesses, and the last religious house to be closed by Henry VIII at the Dissolution of the Monasteries in 1539. It was bought by Sir William Sharington, who converted it into a private house, with various additions, including a splendid tower.
Lacock Abbey was the home of Fox Talbot, the photographic pioneer, and there is a museum devoted to him.