It is situated between Langstone Harbour and Chichester Harbour, and the South shore is a seaside resort. There are a good number of holiday camps and caravan sites, and it is popular with both yachtsmen and windsurfers.
The resort development started in the 1820s, and the first bridge was opened in 1824.
St. Peter`s Church at North Hayling is mediaeval, and has bells cast in the mid 14th century.
St. Mary`s Church at South Hayling is also mediaeval.
Along the seafront is a popular amusement park.
The island was formerly linked to Havant by the much loved Hayling Billy railway line. A passenger ferry crosses to Portsmouth.
The newspaper editor and social reformer W. T. Stead, lost on the Titanic, lived on Hayling Island.
Blue Badge Guide Colin Crosby is available to lead Guided Walks around Hayling Island for groups.