Colin Crosby Heritage Tours

St. Marys Church (Ross-on-Wye)

St. Mary's is the parish church of the lovely little town of Ross-on-Wye in Herefordshire.

Its spire is one of the focal points in the much photographed views of the town from across the River Wye.

St. Mary's is a large and spacious church, mostly of the Decorated and Perpendicular periods. It has glass dated 1430 in the East window.

The lovely 208 foot spire and three of its pinnacles were repaired in 1721, at the cost of John Kyrle, the benefactor known as "The Man of Ross". He also gave the tenor bell in 1695.

John Kyrle is buried in the chancel.

In the churchyard is a rare plague cross commemorating 315 victims of the plague in Ross in 1637.

Bookmark this page

Bookmark this page with

What is