St. Mary Abchurch (London)
St. Mary Abchurch is one of the many interesting churches in the City of London.
It is situated in Abchurch Lane, hidden away between Cannon Street and King William Street, and has a little square in front of it.
The suffix "Abchurch" is believed to derive from "upchurch", as it is at the top of a slight incline.
The mediaeval church was destroyed in the Great Fire of London in 1666, in common with much of the city.
It was rebuilt by Christopher Wren in the 1680s, incorporating a dome, while there is also a spire.
The church was badly damaged in the Blitz, but was subsequently restored.