Spencer House (London)
Spencer House is the finest surviving 18th century town house in London.
It is situated off St. James`s Square, overlooking Green Park.
Spencer House was built between 1756 and 1766 for the first Earl Spencer, ancestor of Diana, Princess of Wales.
It was designed by John Vardy and James "Ahenian" Stuart, with nine state rooms, including Vardy`s Palm Room and Stuart`s Painted Room.
There is an excellent collection of 18th century paintings and furniture, including five paintings by Benjamin West, which have been loaned by Her Majesty the Queen.