Regents Park (London)
Regents Park is one of the very fine and beautiful parks of London.
Originally owned by the Abbess of Barking, Marylebone Fields, where Henry VIII used to hunt, was leased to the Duke of Portland and later reverted to the Crown.
It was developed from 1809 by the great John Nash on behalf of the Prince Regent, later George IV. The idea was that it would be linked by Regent Street to the now demolished Carlton House.
The park is surrounded by elegant Georgian terraces, and on one side is the Central London Mosque, designed by Frederick Gibberd in 1977.
Among the popular features of Regents Park are the London Zoo, opened in 1828, the Open Air Theatre, opened in 1932, and a length of the Regents Canal.
Regents Park Lake is fed by the Tyburn stream.