Leighton House (London)
Leighton House is a splendid building in the heart of London, now used as a museum.
It is situated in Holland Park Road in Kensington.
Built between 1864 and 1879, it was the home of Frederic, Lord Leighton, the celebrated painter and President of the Royal Acadamy.
The house was designed as a palace of art, for entertaining and to provide a wonderful working space in the studio, with its great North windows and gilded apse.
The centrepiece is the Arab Hall. This contains Leighton`s collection of Islamic tiles, as well as a gilt mosaic frieze and a fountain.
Paintings on display include work by Leighton himself, Millais and Burne-Jones.