George Inn (London)
The George Inn is one of the most historic old taverns in London.
It is situated in a yard off Borough High Street in Southwark, a little to the South of London Bridge.
There were many old inns in this street, from one of which Geoffrey Chaucer`s pilgrims set off in "The Canterbury Tales".
The George is a timber framed building, which was built in 1676, on the site of an earlier inn. It is the only galleried inn remaining in London. Originally it stretched around three sides of a courtyard, but the other wings were demolished by a railway company in 1899.
Since 1937, the George has been administered by the National Trust, but is still open for business.