All Hallows by the Tower (London)
All Hallows by the Tower is one of the most interesting churches in the City of London.
It is situated very close to the Tower of London.
There has been a church on this site since the Saxon period. The mediaeval church was one of the few to survive the Great Fire of 1666, but was largely destroyed during the Blitz in the Second World War.
It was rebuilt by Lord Mottistone in the 1950s.
There is a Flemish altarpiece of about 1500 in the North aisle, and a font cover by Grinling Gibbons in a small baptistery.
The 14th century undercroft houses three chapels and museum spaces showing the history of the church. There is also part of a Roman tessellated pavement.
It was the Vicar of All Hallows from 1922 to 1963, Tubby Clayton, who founded Toc H.