St. Denys Church Evington (Leicester)
St. Denys is the mediaeval parish church of Evington, one of the country villages that was swallowed up by the City of Leicester.
It stands in Church Road, close to where it becomes Shady Lane.
The church dates back mostly to the 13th century, including the tower. This is surmounted by a 16th century spire.
There is a figure of St. Denys on the end gable of one of the aisles, overlooking the street.
In the churchyard is buried Cyril Bardsley, the first modern Bishop of Leicester, who moved from Peterborough when the new diocese was created in 1926.
Behind the church is Piggys Hollow, a moated manorial site.