Colin Crosby Heritage Tours

The Sele (Hexham)

The Sele is a large green open space in the ancient town of Hexham.

It occupies high ground overlooking Hexham Abbey, and is much loved by the people of the town. There are superb views from here over a wide area.

Originally farmland belonging to the priory, it was opened to the public by Sir Walter Calverley Blackett in 1753, when he also laid out formal walks and planted trees.

A later Lord of the Manor presented The Sele to the town in 1908.

The Sele School was built here in 1856 and still functions as a school for Hexham's children.

Bookmark this page

Bookmark this page with

What is

Places in Hexham...

Events in Hexham...