Colin Crosby Heritage Tours

St. Michael`s Church (Brighton)

St. Michael`s Church is a splendid Victorian church at Brighton.

It is situated in Victoria Road in the Montpelier district of the town.

The original church on this site was designed for the wealthy priest Charles Beanlands. He commissioned the young G. F. Bodley to design the church in 1858, and the architect called on his friends, including William Morris and Edward Burne-Jones, to add features of their own.

Bodley`s church is now the South aisle.

The rest of the nave and the North aisle are the work of William Burges, designed in 1865 but not actually built until 1893. There are misericords by Thomas Nicholls, and a reredos of 1902 by Romaine Walker.

Bookmark this page

Bookmark this page with

What is

Places in Brighton...