There is a mediaeval stone bridge with six arches, carrying the Great North Road across the River Wharfe.
The whole area was owned in the Middle Ages by the Knights Templar, who were granted a charter for a weekly market in 1240.
The Duke of Devonshire sold the whole town (except one house) in 1824, to fund the building work at Chatsworth.
There was once a castle here, but all traces have now been obliterated by a housing state.
Wetherby Racecourse is just outside the town.