Warwick Castle is one of the most visited attractions in England. It was built in the Norman period, on a mound originally thrown up by Ethelfleda, and greatly enlarged in the 14th century by the powerful Beauchamp family.
There is a wonderful view of the castle from the bridge over the river.
St. Mary's Church has a Norman crypt and a 14th century chancel.The tower, a landmark for miles around, was rebuilt after a disastrous fire which destroyed most of the town centre in 1694, as was the nave, but the chapel erected in the 1440s for the tomb of Richard Beauchamp survives.
Lord Leycester's Hospital, a pretty timber framed building, was erected in 1383 as St. George's Guildhall, and in 1571 Robert Dudley, Earl of Leicester, converted it into a home for retired soldiers.
Above the nearby West Gate is the 12th century St. James's Chapel, and by the East Gate is St. Peter's Chapel, dating from the 15th century.
In the Market Place is the Warwickshire Museum.
There are some excellent Georgian houses in the town centre, and a good collection of black and white ones in Mill Street and Bridge End.
Warwick School was founded in 914, and refounded by Henry VIII in 1545.
Persons born in Warwick include the playwright Walter Savage Landor and folk singer June Tabor.
At Blacklow Hill, just outside Warwick, Piers Gaveston, the lover of Edward II, was beheaded in 1312.
Warwick the Kingmaker played an important part in the Wars of the Roses, and Guy of Warwick was a mediaeval hero whose exploits are largely mythical.
Blue Badge Guide Colin Crosby is available to lead Guided Walks around Warwick for groups.