Truro is the county town of Cornwall, and is situated 13 miles from St. Austell on the Truro River, an arm of the estuary of the River Fal.
It was a mediaeval stannary town, and the county's principal port for the export of tin.
Truro Cathedral, with its three towers, the central of which rises to 240 feet, was designed in 1879 by John Loughborough Pearson, and finished in 1910. It was the first Anglican cathedral to be built in England since St. Pauls Cathedral in London.
There is plenty of elegant Georgian and Victorian architecture in the city centre, including the Assembly Rooms of 1770.
The Royal Cornwall Museum has extensive displays relating to the county and in particular to tin mining.
A steamer service runs between Truro and Falmouth.