It was one of the early West Saxon settlements after their conquest of Devon in the 7th century.
In the 19th century, it became famous for lace, when John Heathcoat moved his machinery and workforce from Loughborough after an attack by Luddites.
St. Peter`s Church has a beautifully decorated porch added in 1517. The very fine organ, built in 1696, was used on the first occasion that Mendelssohn`s "Midsummer Night`s Dream" music was used for a wedding.
St. George`s Church dates from 1733.
Tiverton Castle was begun in 1066. Two towers and a 14th century gateway survive.
Other interesting houses in the town are the Great House of St. George, built in 1614, and Chilcot School, founded in 1611.
Blundell`s School, a famous public school, was founded in 1604, and the original buildings still stand.
The canal basin, at the start of the Grand Western Canal, is now at the centre of a country park.
Derick Heathcoat Amory, Chancellor of the Exchequer, was born at Tiverton, and William Bryant, co-founder of Bryant and May, also came from the town.
Lord Palmerston was once Tiverton`s Member of Parliament.