The village grew up in the 7th century, around Thorney Abbey. Fragments may be seen in the splendid St. Mary and St. Botolph`s Church, including its tall West front..
Hereward the Wake used Thorney, along with Ely, for guerilla incursions against the Normans.
Later, the Dukes of Bedford lived at Thorney, and built the pleasant estate houses along the main street.
The huge mock Jacobean water tower, built in the 19th century, can be seen for miles.
The windmill is dated 1787.