The site is on a hillside overlooking the estuary of the River Deben.
There are at least eleven barrows, containing 7th century Anglo-Saxon burials, one of which has a ship burial. It is probable that it was the ceremonial burial place of Redwald, the King of East Anglia who held sway over what came to be known as England.
They were partially systematically opened in 1938, under the supervision of the site owner Mrs Pretty.
The site is now in the hands of the National Trust, and includes an interpretation centre, cafe and gift shop.