St. Michael`s Mount
At low tide it is accessible by causeway from Marazion, and at high tide by ferry.
The 250 foot summit is surmounted by a castle, looking as if it is out of a fairy tale, and contains a 14th century chapel.
The village at the bottom is beautifully preserved, and includes the harbour.
The Romans knew the island as Ictis.
In 1044 a Benedictine monastery was founded on the island by Edward the Confessor. It was given to Mont St. Michel off the Brittany coast, to which the island bears a striking resemblance.
The St. Aubyn family bought St. Michael`s Mount in 1645 and still live there, although it is now owned by the National Trust.