It stands at the mouth of the combined estuary of the Taw and Torridge.
There are extensive sand dunes and saltmarsh, now constituting the Northam Burrows Country Park.
Behind the sandy beach, there is a bar of pebbles.
St. Margaret`s Church has a North aisle which dates from 1593.
There is an inscribed stone at Bloody Corner, commemorating a battle fought by Alfred the Great in the 9th century.