There is an impressive castle motte, and the gatehouse of 15th century Morpeth Castle, which has been restored by the Landmark Trust.
The mediaeval Chantry House contains a bagpipe museum.
John Vanbrugh built the Town Hall in 1714.
The Clock Tower dates from the 15th century, and was once used as a prison.
Thomas Telford built the bridge over the River Wansbeck in 1831, blowing up the previous bridge, the line of which is now used as a footbridge.
A short distance from the town centre are the remains of Newminster Abbey.