It has been famous for its lace since Elizabethan times.
The High Street is particularly wide and handsome, and has some fine Georgian buildings.
The parish church church was built in the 1830s and has a prominent tower.
St. Margaret`s Hospital was founded in the 14th century and refounded as a leper hospital around 1530.
There are surviving tollgates and a tollhouse, known as the Copper Castle, on the road to Axminster.